What Is a Rotary Evaporator?
Rotary evaporators (rotovaps) are devices used to efficiently remove solvents through an evaporation process. Due to its optimal extraction and distillation properties, the rotary evaporation process is one of the most widely used solvent evaporation methods.
In addition to continuous distillation of volatile solvents, mini rotary evaporator
is also used for concentration, crystallization, drying, separation and solvent recovery, and are widely used in medicine, chemical industry, biology and other fields.
How To Use Rotary Evaporator？
RE-201D, RE-301, and RE-501 Rotary evaporators
consist of mechanical, glass, and constant temperature water baths in three parts. Installation is simple and convenient, specific procedures are as follows:
1. Put the rack on the table smoothly, in case of uneven, can adjust the screws in four hard rubber feet under the baseplate
2. Put the vacuum gauge rod mounted on the stainless steel pole, let the vacuum gauge face up to the installer, and then tighten the nut at both ends.
3. Set the motor away from the chassis 48cm, slanting rightwards to about 25 degrees, and tighten the screws of all parts.
4. Fixed the frequency converter on a stainless steel frame and then plug five core plug.
5. Fixed condenser flange using the retaining clips. The condenser is vertical, each pipe joint backward.
6. Insert the feeding tube into the bottle connected to the condenser.
7. Install the evaporation flask and receiving flask， joint with bottle clamp.
8. Placed the water bath under the receiving flask and add clean water to 2/3 (Tap water to be placed 1-2 days)
9. Exhaust pipe of the condenser is connected to the vacuum pump with a vacuum tube, and the other ends are connected to the cooling chiller.
<1>Glass should be cleaned before installation.
<2> The standard port and the sealing surface to be coated with a small amount of vacuum grease, increased air tightness.
<3>Please lock the motor after completing the installation and do not move it.
Which Rotary Evaporator Is Right For You?
ZZKD provides a series of rotary evaporators to meet various application needs. Our product portfolio includes many different sizes and configurations. We also offer a range of accessories to customize the instrument.
Evaporating flask capacity
Generally speaking, 2L, 3L, and 5L rotary evaporators are suitable for small-scale laboratory tests; 5L, 10L, and 20L are suitable for pilot tests; 20L and 50L are suitable for pilot tests and production.
Rotary evaporator evaporation rate
It is understood that for the rotary evaporator of the same specification, there are four main factors that affect the evaporation rate of the rotary evaporator: the temperature of the heating bath, the vacuum degree in the rotary evaporator, the temperature of the cooling medium of the condenser, and the speed of the evaporating flask.
Heating bath temperature
Specifically, as far as the temperature of the heating bath is concerned, the higher the temperature of the heating bath, the more intense the evaporation of the material. However, due to the constraints of material heat resistance, safety and energy consumption, the commonly The used temperature is 60°C. According to the industry, the temperature of the heating bath is moderate, the volatility rate of water is low, and the energy utilization rate is high.
Vacuum degree in rotary evaporator
Generally, the recommended vacuum degree is 95~98kPa (pressure 2~5kPa); as far as the temperature of the cooling medium of the condenser is concerned, the relationship between the material temperature and the vacuum degree is in line with the relationship between the material saturation temperature and the saturation pressure. When the temperature is determined, the temperature of the cooling medium depends on the type of material.
Evaporating flask speed
The higher the rotation speed of the evaporating flask, the larger the wetting area of the inner surface of the flask, and the larger the heating area; but at the same time, the thickness of the liquid film is also thicker, which increases the heat transfer temperature difference. For materials with different viscosities, there are rotational speeds.
After considering the evaporation rate of the rotary evaporator, select the supporting equipment. The supporting equipment of the rotary evaporator refers to vacuum equipment and cold source equipment. ZZKD recommends the use of circulating water vacuum pumps or diaphragm va Cuum pumps that are resistant to corrosion by various solvents. A vacuum controller is optional to achieve a more efficient and controllable distillation process. In addition, the cold source equipment is selected according to the temperature of the cooling medium and the amount of evaporation.